Monday, February 25, 2013

How I Chose To Be A Surrogate

I have started this blog so I can journal my experience as I undertake being a surrogate and I wanted to start off by telling the story of how I came to this decision.

Back in 2009 when my son was less than a year old, I was sitting at home visiting with a  friend and my husband. She asked the typical question of "Will you have more kids?" to which I laughed and replied jokingly, "Oh, I am sure at least one more, but I just love being pregnant so maybe once I am done, I'll just be a surrogate so I can keep experiencing pregnancy!" We laughed a little at this and talked about those we knew who could use a surrogate but it was all in light talk. However, the thought embedded itself in my head and I just couldn't let it go. Within a few weeks I was researching it like crazy. The more stories I read and heard about women with fertility problems the more I felt sure that I wanted to be a surrogate. I have birthed three amazing children as well as helped raise my step children. I can't imagine wanting so badly to have children and finding out that it wasn't meant to be. Or going through years of IVF and miscarriages and still not being successful in bringing a beautiful child into this world. My heart truly ached for these women and I knew I wanted to do something to help.


I finally got around to bringing it up to my husband, he was there the day it was first mentioned so I was curious to know what he would think when I told him I was serious about it. He is an amazing man who has always stood behind all of my wild ideas and surrogacy was no different. I do wonder though, if he thought this idea would eventually fizzle out and he was just humoring me...boy was he wrong if he did!

It's been years since I decided I wanted to be a surrogate and it has always remained there in the back of my mind, just waiting for the moment of opportunity when it could be acted upon. My heart still aches when I hear stories of a couples struggle to conceive. I never knew so many people dealt with it and I still want to do something, anything to ease that ache and help a couple know the amazing ups and downs of parenthood. So that's it. I thoroughly enjoy being pregnant, I have easy pregnancies and deliveries, and most of all, I have a real empathy for those struggling to bring a child into their lives and just want the opportunity to do something amazing!





No comments:

Post a Comment